Wednesday 6 November 2013

Sweet Things (or Little Boy's Plastic Knights)

It is the sweet simple things in life which are the real ones after all. - Laura Ingles Wilder


Happiness, I believe, is found in the little things in life...things that you might rush quickly by and not even notice.  We have all heard the expression, "to view the cup as half empty or half full,"  but, I think it is much more than that.  I think there is significantly more "good" around us than we notice. Somehow, we let the short comings of our day fill our heads...and let the small sweet things slip by.  So, I just wanted to share one very small thing that made me smile today...
Currently, My children are studying the middle ages.  We have filled our shelves with wonderful books to learn about the era.  We have already read Beowulf (with and without coloured pictures), Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Beorn the Proud (about the Vikings), A Single Shard (about a medieval potter), Famous Men of the Middle Ages, Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages and now we are on to the Trumpeter of Krakow (about medieval Poland).


There have been many sweet things this school year (and even this day) but one of the sweetest was seeing my littlest one engrossed in learning a very long history documentary with the desktop covered with plastic knights (Perhaps all people would love history more if they had their very own set of plastic knights, too). For him, history is not a boring subject...but a story... and he was actively trying to learn every line...and re-enact his favourite parts.
 When a friend later asked him does he like school? I quietly smiled when I heard him eagerly reply, "Yes, I do! Do you?"


The end!

2 comments: