Wednesday 23 October 2013

La Belle Province and Maple Pudding Cake

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind. - C.S. Lewis

 


Old Quebec City photo by Tatjana Tadin
Last month my family and I, together with my visiting older brother,  had a chance to take a short trip to La Belle Province, the french speaking portion of Canada, also known as Quebec. From my home to the capital of the province, it took about six hours by car. My littlest one complained almost the entire way. He emphatically believed  that there was absolutely nothing worth such a drive.
Until we finally saw...the cannons.  Then, suddenly his world began to change...and life was not so bad after all.
My older brother with my four children
 Then there was  the "castle"...and the fortresses....
Hotel Frontenac
 Though the sites did inspired my little band of travellers, my eldest boys were most inspired by the new food experiences of the province.  The Quebecois have inherited a love of food from their French forefathers. One of our favourite recipes of the trip was baked by my friend, Pierrette, who gave us our first taste of  this French Canadian treat...

 
Maple Pudding Cake(Chomeur)recipe adapted from:Ben's Maple Syrup
preheat oven to 350 F

Ingredients 
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used pecans, but walnuts are good, too)
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup water
4 Tablespoons Butter
(optional: serve with sour cream or creme fraiche )

Directions
1.Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt milk and nuts.

 2. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 pan.

3. Combine maple syrup, water, and butter into a small saucepan. Heat just until the butter melts.

  4. Pour the warm sauce over the cake batter. Do not stir.

5.  Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven (350 F).

6. Cut and serve.  It is nicest warm. 


 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment