My children have requested that I post this recipe. We have had it three times in the past three weeks...(and they have already asked me to make it again for dinner tonight...or tomorrow night or the night after). We were inspired by the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. He featured a Toronto Diner, Hey! Meatball on March 15. We were all enamoured by the meatball sandwiches...But, since we live about two hours out of Toronto, too far to go for a meatball sandwich, we decided to try to make our own. Here is our family's version of the Hey! Meatball Rodfather Sandwich. This is now officially my children's favourite dinner. Give it a try! I am sure you will enjoy it, too!
(And when you are ever in Toronto...be sure to stop by Hey! Meatball in Little Italy and try the real thing)
Meatball Sandwiches (inspired by Toronto's Hey! Meatball)
A recipe in several parts
Preheat oven to 550 degrees Fahrenheit
makes about 30 1.5 -2 inch meatballs
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
4 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste (about 1 1/2 teaspoons each)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk
(plus about 3-4 cups chicken stock to add to the pan after the meatballs are formed)
1. Pre-soak bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using your hands, combine the remaining ingredients(except chicken stock) and mix it together with the soaked bread crumbs.
3. Shape into 1.5 - 2 inch balls...a bit larger than a golf ball.
4. Place meatballs into a pan and pour chicken stock in pan...just coming up about half an inch or so...
6. Cook uncovered in a 550 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 20 minutes. (Note: Oven Temperatures can vary slightly...and may need more time)
As the meatballs are cooking, prepare toasted bread, make pesto sauce, and warm up the tomato sauce...
|Add a little olive oil|
|fry on a hot grill|
|My son , ready to assemble his sandwich|
(makes enough about 2 cups of pesto sauce...you could half this amount if you don't need as much)
1 cup walnuts
4 -6 crushed garlic cloves
1 cup vegetable oil (Hey! Meatball recommended vegetable oil over Olive oil...because the olive oil can sometimes be overpowering)
20-30 leaves basil
1. Put the first three ingredients into a blender...pulse till well combined.
2. Add basil, process till just combined.
And Now...To Assemble the Sandwich:
1. On toasted bread put pesto on one side on the other place your meatballs.