The greatest thing, you'll ever learn, is just to love, and be loved, in return." - Moulin Rouge
This is the recipe for my children's favourite cake. Lucky for me, it is also the easiest cake recipe I know of to date. I wanted to share it with you today...as a quick dessert that can be made for Valentine's Day. The cake can be prepared in less than a half an hour...and bakes in half an hour. It is most delicious served warm or at room temperature...and can be quickly made as you are making your Valentine's Day dinner. If you do not have time to prepare the white chocolate cream, you can substitute regular whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Happy Valentines Day!
Bourbon Chocolate Cake (Boca Negra) (adapted from Food.com)
Preheat oven to 350F
A recipe in two parts...
White Chocolate Cream
1 cup whipping cream
12 ounces white chocolate (finely chopped, or chips)
1. Melt white chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat.
2. Once the chips have begun to melt, slowly begin to whisk in the cup of cream. Continue stirring until small bubbles begin to form around the edges. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to serve (It is recommended to let it refrigerate for 8 hours...but I have served it under this time...it is just will be thinner in consistency.)
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsalted butter
5 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 Tablespoon flour
1. Lightly butter a 9 inch round cake pan. Put the cake pan into a shallow roasting pan and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the bourbon and the sugar to a full boil over medium high heat. Cook to a syrup, about 2 minutes.
3. Place chopped chocolate into a food processor or blender.
4. Gather the remaining ingredients. (eggs, butter cut into pieces, and flour)
5. Pour the hot syrup into the blender over the chocolate pieces. Process until smooth.
6. With the machine running, Add butter pieces. Then add the eggs one by one. Lastly, add the flour. Continue processing until smooth.
7. Transfer batter into the prepared pan.
8. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come about 1 inch up the sides of the cake pan.
Put the cake, set in the roasting pan, into the oven to bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the top is dry.
9. Remove the cake from the water bath.
10. Place cake on serving tray...serve warm or at room temperature...topped with the chilled white chocolate cream and/or whipped cream...Enjoy!