Monday 10 September 2012

Coats, Boots, Hats, Oh My!....

I am an optimist.  It does not seem too much use being anything else. - Winston Churchill

My biggest culture shock in moving from Florida to Canada was the amount of clothing one had to put on...and store...and organize by season...
Then the problems only multiplied when I had children.
First, I had to make sure they all had on the proper clothes...socks (sometimes two pairs)....many times several shirts...and pants. Next, came the outerwear...snow pants, hats, gloves, scarfs, jackets....
getting all four of my children suited up usually took longer than the amount of time they would want to spend in the cold winter weather outside.

Now my children are older and do not need help with their mittens...but, I am still trying to find the perfect way to organize all their hats, boots, scarfs, gloves, snow pants, and jackets...
Until yesterday...
Here is my weekend project I wanted to share with you.


I used:
 *  a Wooden Utility shelf (from Jysk)- with Five shelves.
 *  four coat hooks
 *  2 storage boxes

The project took about a hour...
First, I attached the bottom two shelves, and then the very top shelf. (3 shelves used in this step)

Then, I turned one of the remaining shelves at a right angle, to the top, of the lower two shelves.
Securing it, to the back, using screws. The shelf was now made into a seat.

For the last shelf, I attached it at a right angle, to the bottom side, of the top shelf....to create a backing for the hooks...
For the final step, I added the amount of hooks I needed...two across the back....and two on the front....
Giving me a complete shelf for coats w/ space for storage boxes.
Yeah!!!  I am ready winter!!
Total cost for this project was under $40.00....but to me, organization, to help me battle the winter clothing war...makes this project priceless...

If you live in a warm sunny place...and you want to understand the hardships of a Canadian Parent ...click on the following links to some funny children stories by a Canadian Author, Robert Munch:

Thomas's Snowsuit  (The story is read by the Author)
I Have To Go (The story is read by the Author-just a small bit, about getting the snowsuit on and off)

No comments:

Post a Comment