At the table with good friends and family, you do not become old. - Italian Saying
But there is something extra nice about making things from scratch...you can taste the investment and love in every bite...
It is a big deal with my Serbian relatives to gather for homemade meals....they will eat and chat the day away. And yes, I do think that good food at the table with friends and family does go a long way. It helps people feel cared for....and helps people stay for just one more bite...and one more conversation.
My husband and I enjoy cooking together and he has inspired me to try many new recipes. Today I tried to undertake his favourite...pasta (maybe not a Serbian favourite...but anyway)....
Here is my homemade sauce I came up with...
Pasta with Garlic and Herbs (serves approx. 6)
Olive Oil 1/3 cup
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock)
2 egg yolks
Assortment of fresh Herbs approx 1 cup total
(I used: Oregano 1/4 cup, chopped
Cilantro 2 Tablespoons, chopped
Rosemary 1 sprig, chopped
Parsley 1/2 cup chopped)
feta cheese (for topping)
1. Heat oil in frying pan
2. Saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute
3. Add onion. Saute until translucent.
4. Add red pepper flakes, mushrooms, tomatos, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Continue sauteing for approx 5 more minutes until mushrooms and tomatoes are cooked.
6. Beat egg yolks and white wime in a small bowl. Once combined, whisk into garlic and olive oil sauce. cook for approx one minute, stirring constantly.
7. Add fresh herbs. cook for one minute more. Sauce will look about like this:
8. Toss with fresh pasta.
9. Top with feta cheese.
Serve and enjoy!