Friday 25 May 2012

Pink and more Pink...and a Picnic

I believe in pink.  I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls.  I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.  - Audrey Hepburn

My one an only daughter, sandwiched in between a family of boys, just had a birthday.  She did not ask for a lot.  She just thought that having a picnic would be nice...and if I didn't mind making pink cupcakes. 
I had a fun time preparing for her birthday picnic...and watching the skies...hoping that it would not rain....
as it shifted back and forth from overcast to clear.
Here was her picnic lunch...
Enjoyed by both children and adults, I served...
Italian sodas
grilled chicken on toasted buns and honey mustard sauce
vegetables sticks
potato chips
layered pink jello with whip cream
pink cupcakes


For the chicken....
My husband placed the chicken in a marinade of  fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper for one hour.  Next he browned the chicken breasts on a large hot plate ( a skillet would work fine as well).  After all the chicken was browned, he transferred the chicken to be grilled until thoroughly cooked and juices ran clear.  Buns were then buttered and lightly browned on the hot plate.


For the honey mustard sauce...
I mixed in a glass jar
1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons mustard


For the potato chips and the vegetables sticks...
I made pouches to hold the potato chips and vegetables sticks.
 I made the wax paper pouches for two reasons.
1.) to make the vegetables sticks look more exciting to little children.
2.) to give a proper serving size for the potato chips
To make the pouches, I just folded wax paper into a cone shape.  Folded over the base and affixed stickers to hold the shape.


For the layered jello...
 six servings
2 packages of strawberry jello
6 fresh strawberries
1/2 block of cream cheese, softened
1 cup cool whip


1.  Make 1 package of strawberry jello according to package directions.  Divide evenly between six clear dessert bowls.
2.  Finely cut six fresh strawberries and evenly divide into the bowls.
3.  Set the bowls into the fridge and chill until firm.
4.  Once the first package of jello has set in the bowls, begin making the second package of jello.
5.  Dissolve the second package of jello in one cup of boiling water.
6.  Pour into a blender.
7.  Add 1/2 cup cold water, cream cheese, cool whip to blender.
8.  Blend until smooth
9.  Pour into the dessert bowls, on top of the firmed first layer.
10. Chill until set.
11. Serve.


For the cupcakes...
Cupcakes waiting to be frosted
These were definitely a hit with my kids.  They had the best flavor and they were finished off in no time.
I followed the recipe from the blog Sophistimom  If you, too, would like to make these cupcakes.  You can find the recipe at this link:  Pinkalicious Cupcakes
I followed the recipe pretty much exactly as written, however, I recommend  increasing the measurements to 1 and a half times...to make larger cupcakes.
In addition, for the frosting....I used half the butter recommended and used cream cheese for the other half.
Instead of using both vanilla and strawberry extract in the frosting I used a few drops of coconut extract.
The frosting came out wonderful!  And the cupcakes were delicious!  Making a perfect ending to a pink picnic.
I hope this gives you some ideas for your own summer picnic...

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Tatjana! Looks like fun! Wish we were there! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We can make the cupcakes for your little guys sometime when you come up his way :)

    ReplyDelete