Sunday 11 March 2012

Spring! (I hope)

If we had no winter, spring would not be as pleasant: If we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be as welcome. - Anne Bradstreet
our lake finally melting

Growing up in the south, everyday was like spring....and then a few days later it would be hot summer.  But, I will never forget the first spring in Canada.  It was an experience!  It was as if the world came alive again.  The empty frozen streets, became busy again..with people waking, biking, window shopping....the barren brown landscape transformed to a beautiful green almost overnight and the skies left behind their winter grey.  In almost everyone's face was a look of...We made it through!
I often wondered if I could appreciate spring in Canada, if I did not go through the long winter first. 
 

ready for biking
 
This morning, on our first day of warm weather, my daughter woke up early.  She greeted me good morning, and told me she was going for a bike ride.  I said, "What about breakfast?"  She said that she would get it later and that she didn't want to miss the nice weather, just in case it changed in the middle of the day.  Well, the weather did not change...and my daughter, and all my children and my nieces and nephew stayed outside the whole day.   
 
chalk drawings by my second son





hola-hoop

Here's to our first day of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment