Thursday 1 March 2012

Dragons

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. - G.K. Chesterton
My little dragon fighter

Little children can be very sweet...even when they are awake.  When I am old and grey,and I look back to when my children were small, one of my favourite memories will be of when I read stories aloud to them at night.  My littlest son is now interested in a book called the Dragon Rider, by Cornelia Funke.  It is a very thick book, by kids' standards.  So, he asks me to read a chapter to him every night...or maybe even two...or even three...(by three I read in a monotone voice).  But today he began asking me to read first thing in the morning.  He brought me the book as I brushed my teeth in the morning(and I said not now, maybe later).  He brought me the book as I drank my morning coffee(and I said, maybe later) and by the third time...I said, alright.  I popped a big bowl of popcorn and told him to call his siblings and his cousins...anyone who would like to hear.  So all the little ones came...and they sat through 5 chapters.  In the evening, he asked for 2 more chapters before bed.  As I tucked him, with his sleepy eyes closing, he asked me what was my favourite breakfast and he would make it.  He said that I was the best mom in the world and would I be interested in eating bread with honey....I said I would love it.  But the best treat was seeing his excitement...

No comments:

Post a Comment