Wednesday 8 February 2012

The Pasture

 I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wa't to watch the water clear, I may)
I sha'n't be gone long. - You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother.  It is so young
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. - You may come too.
-Robert Frost
an old animal pasture beside our home
When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, as a memory I took a book of poems off her shelf.  The opening poem was "The Pasture" by Robert Frost.  I thought it was a beautiful poem...but I didn't quite get it.  I happened upon the poem about a month ago, and still I didn't quite get it.  But today, I finally really got it.  I did not intentionally seek to understand this poem. It just sort of happened...

a little hummingbird nest

This morning, instead of doing what needed to be done...we pushed it aside and went on a walk through our own fields and pastures.
We spied so many wonderful little things  along the way...and took our time....
snow shaped by wind...(what do you think it looks like...I think a dragon with wings)
beaver cuttings...some people have squirrels...we have beaver in our backyard...
When  we made it back home, by chance, I happened to pick up that old book of poems...and I opened it to "The Pasture"...and this time...I got it.  
I don't know how I had missed it before. I guess I just had to sweep a few of my own leaves away     first...Did you get it, too?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I got it. Love Robert Frost, and love being reminded of seeing newborn calves in the pasture on my childhood dairy farm. Just amazing photos. Wow, Christina.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got it. It is a beautiful poem. I did not know that you lived on a dairy farm when you were young. Maybe we need some cows here too... :)

      Delete