A few days ago, I arrived back home after a trip down to the Deep South. There are so many things that I love about the South...family, friends, hospitality, ocean waves, the scent of freshly bloomed jasmine wafting through the air, tall oaks, and quiet evenings...(and of course the food).
Besides Grits... Sweet Potato Pie always brings back sweet memories from the south. On weekends when I was young, my dad would buy this freshly made pie for Sunday Dinner.
If you would like to taste a bit of the south...give it a try...it is one of my favourites!
Sweet Potato Pie (adapted from Allrecipe)
makes 2 9-inch pies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 unbaked pie shells
1. Boil sweet potatoes whole in their skins for 40-50 minutes.
2. Run cold water of sweet potatoes and remove the skin. (about 3 cups mashed).
3. Break apart sweet potato and add butter. Mix well with a mixer.
4. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on a high speed until smooth.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Pie will slightly puff up as it bakes and then sink down as it cools.