Thursday 22 November 2012

Thanksgiving

I am more and more convinced that our happiness or unhappiness depends more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. - Alexander von Humbolt


One October afternoon while at work, about two months after I first met my future (Canadian) husband, I received a phone call.  He was calling to wish me a "Happy Thanksgiving".  I told him he had the date wrong.  Thanksgiving is in November, not October.  I, of course, being American did not realize that our northern neighbour had a Thanksgiving holiday...clearly the pilgrims did not land near any polar bears, so how and why could they celebrate Thanksgiving?  And how could they eat turkey?  Didn't they steal the idea from America.  I was taught that Thanksgiving began with the pilgrims and their survival through their first winter with the help of their new found friends.  Canadians do celebrate a slightly different, but essentially the same reason for Thanksgiving.  We all need to be Thankful...to take time to notice what we really have...
"We live in an Amazing world , but no one is happy"  was a writing prompt(writing prompt tumblr) that headed my son's work this morning.  My son jokingly wrote about the woes of his great-grandmother and her half century old grudges and his little brother whose life is never quite happy enough unless he has one more Lego...he finally finished his work by saying that people aren't happy because they don't know how to get through things that are difficult.
I do sometimes wonder how different my life could have been if I had just went with...the Amazing... instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment