I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear the lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore... - W.B. Yeats
One of my favourite memories, of when my children were very young, was taking biking trips along the lakeshore...In our picnic basket I would always make this little treat...hardtack crackers...and small pieces of cut cheese and slices of apples...makes a perfect quick picnic for small children.
Hope you enjoy!
Homemake crackers (aka hardtack)
(adapted from Kinder-Krunchies: Healthy Snack Recipes for Children)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 Tablespoons buttermilk
2 cups flour
8 teaspoons maple syrup
3/4 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons shortening or margarine
1. Mix together baking soda and buttermilk in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, maple syrup and salt in another bowl.
3. Cut shortening into the bowl containing the flour.
4. Add buttermilk and soda mixture to the shortening and flour mixture
5. Roll very thin.
8. Cut and serve. Can be eaten with pieces of cheese or topped with jam or butter.