I have been lucky to have had the opportunity to celebrate many wonderful "fathers" in my life. Not for the gifts that they bought me, but for life lessons that they have taught me. I have a wonderful dad....I have a husband who is a wonderful father....I have a wonderful father in law...I had two wonderful grandfathers...and I had a wonderful grandfather in law, who recently passed away.
So today I celebrate many people, for many reasons. The traditional approach to the day is a BBQ, but honestly, my husband BBQ's better than I do....so to say, "Happy Father's Day! You get to make dinner" did not seem right. My children each choose a dish to help make (They love to cook, like their dad...) But, today I will feature just one of our favourites that we made for this special day. We hope that you love this recipe as much as we did!!
P.S. I call them Southern because they contain pecans....not naturally occurring in Canada
P.P.S. They contain quick rise yeast....do not be scared....it is very easy to work with!!
P.P.P.S If you have extras, just wrap individually in foil and freeze. Reheat...at 350F for 20-30 minutes.
Southern Sticky Buns (aka Caramel-Pecan Sticky Buns)(from Chatelaine Magazine, April 2012 issue, check out their website at chatelaine.com)
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp Quick Rise Yeast (or one small package)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup hot milk(120 to 130degrees)
1/3 cup hot water
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1. Whisk 1 cup of the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Whisk in milk and water.
3. Whisk is butter and egg.
5. Knead dough for 3 to 4 minutes in the bowl until smooth and not sticky.
Preparing Caramel Sauce:
1. Put butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and pecans into a saucepan over medium heat.
4. Set baking dish with caramel sauce aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
Preparing Filling and adding to the dough:
1. Combine brown sugar and butter in a bowl
2. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 inch square.
3. Spread brown sugar mixture over dough right to the edges.
5. slice into rounds, about 1 inch thick.
6. Lay rounds, cut side down onto prepared caramel sauce in baking dish.
7. Brush lightly with oil or butter.
9. Cover dish with a baking sheet or cutting board, and carefully flip buns onto sheet.