Monday 7 May 2012

Happiness, Oranges and Muffins

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognising and appreciating what we do have. - Frederick Koenig



When I was in grade school I had a friend who believed that oranges could improve your mood.  So, when she was feeling blue...she would eat an orange, twist its peel, and let bits of it's essence spray onto her face. Whether it is true or not, I can not say.  Till this day, however, when I see an orange, I smile thinking of my childhood friend.  So, I suppose it is true, but perhaps for a different reason.

Today I share my very favourite recipe for Orange Muffins (or if you would like: happiness muffins).  I made them in honour of my little sister visiting from Florida.  I hope they can make you smile too...and help you find a bit of happiness in your day....

Orange Juice Muffins (recipe adapted from Food.com)
(makes 12 muffins)

Ingredients:
1 orange, quartered, seeds removed, with peel
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (approx. the juice from one orange)
1 large egg
1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease muffin tin and set aside.
2.  Put quartered orange into blender along with the orange juice, blend well.
3.  Add egg and butter to blender and continue to mix.
4.  Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Then, add orange mixture all at once.
5.  Stir to combine.
6.  Fill greased muffin tin.
7.  Bake for 20 minutes.
8.  Sprinkle with icing sugar (optional) when slightly cooled.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment