Thursday 23 February 2012

Change

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

Old houses are beautiful in many ways....
But in many ways they are not!  So, this week I decided to change my world...I have never painted a room. I have never painted any furniture....(but, I do think this bathroom(or washroom) would inspire anyone to pick up a paint brush and learn!)  My bathroom before....



And just for the cost of a can of paint...  It changed to this...



I searched the house for old fixtures and hooks...and had a completely new bathroom. I just painted the old vanity...and found an old ugly mirror from the basement...painted it and added a few decorations. Now my bathroom looks brand new, even though there is nothing new inside.


 My children's bathroom needed even more work....

Was then changed into this.....

My children's bathroom after it was attacked by a can of paint (I painted it all by myself :)

The mirror was from the hallway...my father-in-law and I added the border...to give more character to the mirror and the room....again...it was just spare wood that we found from around the house.
Painting the sink cabinet was difficult...do you know how many screws I had to remove to repaint this...my hands were sore for about 3 days...(but it was worth it!)  In addition to painting the cabinets, I sprayed all the handles silver.
The towel hook to the left of the mirror was found in the basement...I sprayed it silver as well....

My only new purchases....
4 picture frames from the dollar store
And a set of blue curtains from Walmart...

This was  my inspiration for the whole bathroom....
These were my grandmother's...she loved stained glass..
I finally found a beautiful place for them to hang...
Stained glass in the children's bathroom window
I am glad I took a risk...and decided to make a change. 
(Tonight I tackle the hallway!)




2 comments: