Monday 2 January 2012

Beautiful Sounds

Things do not change- we do.  
                 Henry David Thoreau
       
      My friend sat down at an old piano today in our living room.  It is an old piano, with missing ivory...and a bit out of tune, the way old pianos usually are.  She began to play the song Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.  
     I quietly walked into the room and listened.  I have known this particular friend for many years and I was not aware that she played the piano.  In my surprise I mentioned that I did not know she knew how to play.  She smiled and said, " I learned from YouTube." She loved the song so much that she went to a store and bought the sheet music.  Then she went on YouTube and learned how to read music.  She picked out the notes one by one.  Sadly, she told me, you know it took me 6 months to learn this song and she added I also learned Beethoven's Fur Elise, also taking about the same amount of time.  To me, I find it amazing...My friend is not a musician, but she said she had always wanted to be a piano player.   


So this is the beauty I found in today.  Things in life do not change.  It is us who decided whether or not we will conquer our Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment